Friday, October 12, 2012

My Mom, Strangers and Chance Encounters

Today I went out to lunch specifically to find wifi access to do some work. I was in uniform and an older gentleman walked by on the way to the restroom and said "Hi, Captain." The fact that he referred to my rank let me know he was probably prior military. I said "Hi" and went back to work.

About five minutes later the same gentleman came back by and reached out to shake my hand and thank me for my service. He then explained that he was retired from the Army and had served in Vietnam. He sat down and started talking.

I have to admit that my first thoughts revolved around why he was sitting down and that I was being interrupted from my work. Then I thought about my Mom and how she never met a stranger. Some of my earliest memories are of being out shopping with my Mom and standing there while she talked with people she hadn't known prior to that moment. To be honest again, back then my thoughts often revolved around why we were being held up by this stranger and that my fun time was being cut into. My perspective has changed in the last couple of years.

My Mom isn't able to do those things anymore because she has begun to exhibit symptoms of Alzheimer's. The once bubbly and outgoing person I knew has become fearful of new situations and isn't able to carry a conversation. I share this just to say that when I first realized this about my Mom I was very sad, but I realized that I could be sad about something I can't change or honor her great qualities by trying to be more like her.

So back to today. I made the decision to relax and just go with the flow. We spent a good deal of time talking about his service and his life. It became very obvious he was lonely and felt comfortable talking with someone who wears the uniform he once wore.

I learned that he buried his mother in July, just three months after burying his 35 year old son. I learned about his experiences in Vietnam, as well as his homecoming. I also sat and listened as he shared the stories of the things he and his buddies used to get into when on pass.

You know what? I enjoyed talking with this stranger. I was also glad that I was able to listen to someone who needed to talk. When he left he said, "Goodbye. I enjoyed the talk. By the way, my name is Ken." How ironic.

No comments:

Post a Comment